Monday, June 1, 2009

First Post

Here is a new blog, to document my journey as I build an outdoor kitchen. I've built a couple before, and phrases I would hear from visitors were along these lines....
  • "cool - it will be really nice when it's finished"
  • "wow - I've never seen anyone use that material in that way before"
  • "wow - I'm surprised you could do that and still be within code"
  • "interesting, how did you make something so flimsy looking strong enough?"
  • "wow - I never thought you could use wood so close to the grill"
Fortunately we moved from those homes. The plan with this one is to "do it properly" as we don't intend to move anytime soon. Unfortunatley, that phrase and the fact that I am doing as much of the work as possible, are somewhat at odds, so have agreed the following basic principle: I am going to do as much as I can myself, but have promised to bring in professional help in any of the following situations
  • I have zero idea what I am doing and will likely make it look very ugly
  • I have zero idea what I am doing and will likely waste an awful lot of money if I screw it up
  • I have zero idea what I am doing and will likely blow up the house or kill somebody
So far I have a basic plan/location determined, rough idea how to build it (steel frame) and some idea of the types of components (most important of which is the beer fridge).

In the next post I'll put up some pictures of the last 2 efforts, and then get some before pictures up for this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment